Form fields... Field that gathers Data from an external API, only load when displayed in UI

Hello there,

I am programming an interface for another web-software using their API.
In one on my UIs, I want to provide a dropdown where entries from the API are listed.
But: I only want to load the Data from the API in this UI, so defining it in the model is not an option:

$this->addFields(['debitoor_id_payfull',   'type'=>'string',  'caption' => 'Debitoor ID Normalpreis', 'ui' => [ 'form' => ['DropDown', 'values' => (new \Pmg\Data\DebitoorProduct())->getProductArray()]]],

This loads the Data from the API each time the Model is loaded, obviously not a good Idea.

Aaaaah, just found an easy solution :slight_smile:

I only define in the model that the field should be DropDown, and add the values to the DropDown in the UI page.

Model (excerpt of addFields() function):

['debitoor_id_payfull',   'type'=>'string',  'caption' => 'Debitoor ID Normalpreis', 'ui' => [ 'form' => ['DropDown']]],
['debitoor_id_payreduced','type'=>'string',  'caption' => 'Debitoor ID reduzierter Preis', 'ui' => [ 'form' => ['DropDown']]],

UI page:

$values = (new \Pmg\Data\DebitoorProduct())->getProductArray();
$main_content->mainForm->fields['debitoor_id_payfull']->values = $values;
$main_content->mainForm->fields['debitoor_id_payreduced']->values = $values;

just small note - form can’t exist without model. Your model does not need to have persistence but it’s required simpy because we didn’t wish to duplicate code in UI.

Hi,
above model code was only an excerpt from model->addfields function :wink: