Can't load current field value into PHP

Hi, is there no longer a way to get the current value of a field in PHP? I have tried both via javascript callback:

$form->on('focus', 'input', function($js, $data) {
    $c=$data['cnt']+1;
    $js->val($c)->data('cnt', $c);
});

and field reference:

$form['field'];

Just like some of the examples say should work, with no success. How is this supposed to work? I want to implement some PHP logic based on the value of a field after it is changed (javascript blur event). Thank you,

Ok, few things here:

1. $form['field'] used to work in ATK4.3, which is a legacy version (https://github.com/atk4/atk4). It was a short syntax for $form->model['field'] which you can use inside submission handler. (Form::onSubmit)

2. You can reference field values inside JavaScript, for example take value from one field and do something with it. Example is here: https://github.com/atk4/ui/blob/develop/demos/reloading.php#L64

3. If you want to bring value of arbitrary JS expression into your PHP callback, it’s documented here: http://agile-ui.readthedocs.io/en/latest/callbacks.html#javascript-arguments.

In it’s simple form it looks like this:

$label->on('click', function($j, $arg1) {
    return 'width is '.$arg1;
}, [new \atk4\ui\jsExpression( '$(window).width()' )]);

From your code it looks like you want to increment values in your fields when you click inside them, so here are some ideas:

Use argument with expression $(this).val(), this way when PHP code is called you pass the current value into the callback.

Okay I got a variety of this working, thank you. But I can’t get the ‘blur’ event to work, it only seems to work with ‘click’. And what is $j ??

$j same as $js, whatever you want to call it. First argument passed into your callback is js chain.

I am not sure about the JS events, try debugging them in the browser. I’m pretty bad at JavaScript :smiley:

I later got it to work by making (in this case) ‘input’ be the second argument, and a callback function the third, e.g.: $someVar->on(‘blur’, ‘input’, function() use ($anotherVar) { … code … }. However neither method would work with the ‘change’ event though ‘blur’ is better than nothing :slight_smile:

And function requires an event to occur. What I’m also looking for is something that can just return a value to PHP, for example a string. It should look something like this:

echo 'the value of my obj is: ’ . (new \atk4\ui\jQuery($obj)->val()) /* <-- But I want this to display the value/result of the jQuery, NOT the jQuery function!! */

Maybe there some simple obvious way to do it but so far no success.

PHP can’t display value of JS property, they live on different side of the internet. I might be miss-understanding what you try to achieve here, but try to change your thinking and solve your problem differently.

Being new to agiletoolkit and Jquery, the way they seem to operate through functions made me think it was possible. I will look into another way, thank you,